Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Morrissey, "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get"



Before you go thinking Morrissey is a new guy on the scene, direct from a stint on Big Brother 12 or something, let me tell this song is from 1994, off the album Vauxhall and I. In the 1980s he was the lead singer for The Smiths, a British pop/rock outfit that is a major influence for every single band you like today. Just sayin'V.

The lyrics to this song read a bit like a stalker's anthem. Which is why I like it so much. Girls seem to like it, too, such as when I leave it on a CD at their door, ring the doorbell, and then run away. Ooooooh, love!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chuck Klosterman has an essay about an annual Smiths/Morissey convention in L.A. Apparently, most of the attendees are teenage to late-20s Hispanics. He examines the odd balance between a culture valuing machismo and their fascination between an effeminate icon.