Saturday, September 6, 2008

Two Sides to Every Story



So, here's a mix I made this morning, when I should have been writing. Somehow it came to me that I needed to rock a bit harder than normal...it seems twice or thrice a year the need to listen to loud guitars overtakes my usual urge for well-crafted pop melody. Not that these songs aren't all well-crafted...and not that there isn't plenty of pop to be found on this mix. Just that there's a certain rock swagger that cuts through the whole mix, I think.

Man do I love that word: "Swagger."

Two Sides to Every Story

1. Beyond Belief, Elvis Costello
2. Stadiums and Shrines II, Sunset Rubdown
3. When the Levee Breaks, Led Zepplin
4. Nature of the Experiment, Tokyo Police Club
5. Mockingbirds, Grant Lee Buffalo
6. I Think I'm Going to Hell, My Morning Jacket
7. The Future, Leonard Cohen
8. Walcott, Vampire Weekend
9. Consequence, Incubus
10. Shady Lane, Pavement
11. Changes, David Bowie
12. Killing Lies, The Strokes
13. The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine, Spoon
14. Waitin' On A Friend, The Rolling Stones
15. You Don't Know How It Feels, Tom Petty
16. Turn My Head, Live
17. Life In A Glass House, Radiohead
18. Most Likely You Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine (Live), Bob Dylan

Notes:
"Beyond Belief" is one of my favorite Elvis Costello joints...and speaking of guitars, this Sunset Rubdown track features some weidly excellent axe work...is "When the Levee Breaks" Led Zep's best work? It's up there...Tokyo Police Club is a very interesting group, check out their body of work..."Mockingbirds" by GLB. This song got me through Fall 05 all by itself...man does MMJ rock!--and in a variety of styles...Leonard Cohen still equals God...Vampire Weekend is surely positioning themselves to take home Steve's Album of 2008 Award...this morning I realized how much I miss listening to Incubus..."A shady lane / everybody wants one / a shady lane / everbody needs one." So true Mr. Malkmus...I tend not to give Bowie enough credit, but that guy is as seminal as anybody to me...I can't wait for a new Strokes album, whenever that will be..."He makes love to the duke, he swordfights the queen / he steals the whole show in his last dying scene / no one sees the two sides of Monsieur Valentine"...speaking of swagger, ladies and gentlemen, Mick Jagger!...remember the video to this Tom Petty song? Awesome...I don't think people think of the album Secret Samadhi when they think of Live, but that's my favorite from them...still groovin' on Radiohead after the concert...Bob Dylan swaggered sometimes, too. When he felt the need.

1 comment:

Kurd said...

I loved that Incubus album back in the day, especially "The Warmth."

And on the Bowie front, a random anecdote. We were in a bar the other night, an interesting bar. They had over 300 types of beer in bottles. But you didn't get a list and pick one, you described the beer you wanted and they chose it for you. For example, I asked for something red and malty and in the Scottish style.

How does this relate to Bowie, you ask? Well, while we were there, they played nothing but Bowie tunes. "Young Americans," "Space Oddity," "Under Pressure" with Queen. But they didn't play my favorite, "Modern Love." I have that track on record. Recognize.

Unrelatedly, last night I was in a bar and they were playing a new Kid Rock song set to the beat and tune of "Werewolves of London." He was singing about summer in Michigan. It was awesome, and I heard it before I was drinking. You should check it out. Really.

Lastly, Steve! Yeah, Steve! Woh oh Woh! Give Deja a hug for me.